Conversations that Drive Performance: Empowering Employees with Behavior Science (1 CEU)
BACB CEUs: 1
Duration: 50 min.
CE Instructor: Scott Herbst, PhD, Founder of SixFlex Training
Abstract: Most people don’t really enjoy telling subordinates their performance isn’t meeting expectations. Most subordinates don’t really enjoy hearing it. Those are the types of conversations leaders tend to call “difficult.” In this training, we approach these conversations from two different levels of analysis. First, we’ll present an understanding through a traditional behavioral contingency analysis, identify the positive and negative reinforcers that are likely present during a feedback interaction, and speculate what behavioral patterns we’d likely observe given those consequences. In short, we’ll explore why we tend to call these conversations “difficult.” Second, we’ll look at how more recent research in language and cognition (specifically Relational Frame Theory) can contribute to our understanding of those scenarios. Using this knowledge of human language, we’ll walk through an exercise designed to alter the more immediate functions of feedback delivery to presence positive reinforcement functions. Research supporting this exercise will be reviewed. Next, we’ll review research related to shaping verbal behavior and the impact that can have on other forms of behavior, and apply that to coaching techniques. Participants will walk away with a basic methodology for leveraging behavioral research to promote problem solving and to facilitate supervisees’ behavior change, as well as effectively coach friends and loved ones.
- Participants will be able to identify, in behavior analytic language, contingencies that both increase and decrease the probability of effective performance management conversations.
- Participants will be able to summarize the science behind effective performance improvement conversations.
- Participants will be able to ask questions that facilitate effective problem solving with supervisees.
This course has four lessons, followed by a quiz.
Here’s how it works:
1) Select one or more CEUs and proceed to checkout.
2) If you need CEU credit, please enter your BACB-Approved certification number at checkout.
3) Please allow up to 1 business day for processing.
4) After processing, you will receive login information to login at the top of the screen.
5) After logging in, click “User Profile” at the top of the screen to access your CEUs.
6) When you watch the videos for their full duration, the evaluation will become available. After you complete the evaluation, your certificate will be instantly available in your User Profile.
For any questions or inquiries into group rates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your order will be processed within one business day, after which you will be able to login to bSci21.org and click on “User Profile” at the top of the screen to start your course. Please contact email@example.com for any questions.
ACE Provider # OP-16-2609
The Behavior Analyst Certification Board (“BACB”) does not sponsor, approve or endorse bSci21Media, the materials, information or sessions identified herein.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.