Metacontingencies, Organizations, and Cultural Change (1.5 CEUs)
BACB CEUs: 1.5
Duration: 85 minutes
CE Instructor: Todd A. Ward, PhD, BCBA-D, President of bSci21Media, LLC
Abstract: Dr. Ward sits down with Angela Cathey to discuss the origins and evolution of the metacontingency. They discuss its origins in the 1980s as a bridge to cultural anthropology, its reconceptualization in 2004 by Sigrid Glenn, and its further refinements by Houmanfar and colleagues in later years. This conversation walks through the basic elements of the metacontingency, how they differ from the macrocontingency, and discuss applications to complex behavioral phenomena in organizations and larger society.
- Participants will be able to define an interlocked behavioral contingency.
- Participants will be able to define a macrocontingency and describe how it differs from the metacontingency.
- Participants will be able to discuss how the meta- and macrocontingeny interacts in complex organizational and cultural phenomena.
Suggested readings on the metacontingency:
Glenn, S. S. (1988). Contingencies and metacontingencies: Toward a synthesis of behavior analysis and cultural materialism. The Behavior Analyst, 11, 161-179.
Glenn, S. S. (2004). Individual behavior, culture, and social change. The Behavior Analyst, 27, 133-151.
Glenn, S. S., & Malott, M. E. (2004). Complexity and selection: Implications for organizational change. Behavior and Social Issues, 13, 89-106.
Houmanfar, R., Rodrigues, N. J., and Ward, T. A. (2010). Emergence and metacontingency: Points of contact and departure. Behavior and Social Issues, 19, 78-103.
This course has four lessons, followed by a quiz.
Here’s how it works:
1) Select one or more CEUs and proceed to checkout.
2) If you need CEU credit, please enter your BACB-Approved certification number at checkout.
3) Please allow up to 1 business day for processing.
4) After processing, you will receive login information to login at the top of the screen.
5) After logging in, click “User Profile” at the top of the screen to access your CEUs.
6) When you watch the videos for their full duration, the evaluation will become available. After you complete the evaluation, your certificate will be instantly available in your User Profile.
For any questions or inquiries into group rates, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your order will be processed within one business day, after which you will be able to login to bSci21.org and click on “User Profile” at the top of the screen to start your course. Please contact email@example.com for any questions.
ACE Provider # OP-16-2609
The Behavior Analyst Certification Board (“BACB”) does not sponsor, approve or endorse bSci21Media, the materials, information or sessions identified herein.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.
What’s wrong with daily life in the western world? A commentary on Skinner’s landmark article for the 21st century. (1.5 CEUs)$25.00 ADD TO CART
Collective Leadership: Coming Together to Solve the World’s Biggest Problems (1 CEU)$15.00 ADD TO CART
Improving Performance with ACT, Values, and Goals (1 CEU)$15.00 ADD TO CART
Leveling Up Behavior Analysis With Gamification (1 CEU)$15.00 ADD TO CART